1. Home
  2. /
  3. Off Topic
  4. /
  5. Woman, 83, Found Alive...

Woman, 83, Found Alive at Funeral Home After Being Declared Dead

It was discovered that an 83-year-old woman, who was being held in a nursing home in New York, was alive and breathing when she was brought to a funeral home. This incident took place only a few days after a similar case in Iowa resulted in a $10,000 fine being imposed.

According to officials at a funeral home in Miller Place, New York, an elderly woman who was declared dead at a New York care facility was later discovered alive and breathing at the funeral home three hours later.

Read More: Singapore Executes First Woman In 19 Years Following Heroin Trafficking Conviction

Suffolk County Police reported that the woman was declared dead at 11:15 a.m. on Saturday at Water’s Edge Rehab and Nursing Center in Port Jefferson on Long Island, as reported by Suffolk County police.

According to a press release issued by the Miller Place Police Department, the woman was found breathing at 2:09 p.m., after being transported to O.B. Davis Funeral Homes in Miller Place at 1:30 p.m. She was pronounced dead at the hospital at 3:45 p.m., according to the statement.

Credit: DepositPhotos

There was no further information available on Monday regarding the woman’s condition; she had been transported to a hospital for further treatment.

Also Read: Naked Woman Opens Fire on Bay Bridge During Rush Hour

Earlier this week, a similar incident occurred at an Iowa care home that resulted in a $10,000 fine being imposed on the home.

It has been reported by Iowa authorities that a 66-year-old woman passed away on January 3 at Glen Oaks Alzheimer’s Special Care Center in Urbandale, where she was receiving hospice care at the time.

When employees of Ankeny Funeral Home & Crematory discovered that she was still breathing after she had been placed in a body bag, they immediately called the emergency services.

As documented in a report released last week by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, the woman was transferred back to hospice care and passed away on January 5.

As per the New York police, the case has been given over to the department of state attorney general’s office so that further investigation can proceed.

There was an email sent to the nursing home requesting a comment. An attempt to contact the nursing home on Monday failed since the person answering the phone hung up. As a result of privacy and confidentiality concerns for the families that funeral homes serve, funeral home officials told Newsday on Sunday that they would not be able to comment further on this matter.

Read Next: Biden Nominates Adm. Lisa Franchetti as First Woman to Head Navy, Disregarding Pentagon’s Recommendation