McDonald’s is one of the largest fast-food chains in the world, and Apple Pay is America’s favorite mobile wallet. But does McDonald’s take Apple Pay? Keep reading to find out if you can get your hands on that Big Mac without whipping out your wallet every time.
Does McDonald’s Accept Apple Pay?
Mcdonald’s does take Apple Pay in 2023. You can use Apple Pay in-store, at drive-thru counters, and even with the McDonald’s mobile app. The Mcdonald’s app lists Apple Pay as its default payment method.
Here’s a tweet about using Apple Pay at McDonald’s:
For good measure, here’s a screenshot of McDonald’s FAQ that also states it accepts Apple Pay and Apple Wallet:
But all this works only if you have the Apple Pay Wallet set up on your Apple device!
Here’s a bit of background on Apple Pay and how to set it up.
Setting Up Apple Pay
Apple Pay is Apple’s cashless payment method that is available for anyone who uses Apple’s devices such as iPhone and Apple Watch.
Setting up Apple Pay on your device is quick and easy, and has many benefits, including:
- It is super quick
- Completely contactless
- Very secure
There’s no time like now to make sure that Apple Pay works on your phone.
But how should you go about it?
What You Should Know Before Setting Up Apple Pay
Before setting it up, you’ll need to make sure:
- You have an iOS device that is compatible with Apple Pay.
- You have a payment method like a credit or debit card that’s eligible for Apple Pay.
- You are signed in to the Apple Store with your Apple ID.
How To Link Your Bank Card to the App
Once you have everything in place, here are the steps you need to follow to set up Apple Pay on your iPhone:
First, you’ll want to open the Apple Wallet app and click on the “+” button.
To add a new card:
- Click on “credit or debit cards” and press continue.
- Scan the card using the card reader, or enter your credit card details manually.
To add an existing card:
- Click on “Previous Cards” and select one from the list to add to your Wallet app.
- Press the “Continue” button and follow the next steps.
- You can also add the card to Apple Watch if it is paired with your phone.
And that’s it! You can start using this mobile payment app to buy burgers.
You can also have it set up to link with your bank account.
In some cases, your bank or the card-issuing company might ask for more details. They may also ask you to download their app before continuing.
How to Use Apple Pay at McDonald’s
If you are in-store, you can easily use Apple Pay at McDonald’s. You can do it both at the counter or using its self-service kiosks.
When you have selected what you would like to order, launch your wallet app. Your device will show you a side button that lets you use Apple Pay for contactless payments. You just need to double-click that button!
The next step to making payments depends on how you use your Apple device
Let’s look at how it works.
iPhone Touch ID
If you use Touch ID on your phone, these are the steps for using Apple Pay
- Authenticate the payment with your fingerprint through Touch ID.
- Click on the credit card you wish to use.
- Keep the device near a cash register or payment reader until the charge is confirmed.
iPhone Face ID
If you use Face ID on your Apple device, then use the following steps to pay:
- Authenticate the payment by looking directly at your phone’s camera.
- Click on the card that you intend to pay with.
- Keep the device near the cash register until payment is done.
If your Apple Watch is paired to your device, you can use it for Apple Pay at McDonald’s too.
Just follow these steps:
- Keep your Apple Watch near the Apple Pay sign on the cash register or self-service kiosk.
- Wait until you hear a ping; that means both devices are connected.
- You will see a green checkmark once the payment is complete on the cash register.
How to Use Apple Pay at the McDonald’s Drive-Thru
You can use Apple Pay at McDonald’s drive-thru, just like the payment counter. The drive-thru employee will process your payment with the near-field communication (NFC) reader at the drive-thru window.
You need to keep your Apple Watch or phone close to it to make the payment.
We have covered all the ways to use Apple Pay when you are at McDonald’s, but what about making payments online?
Next, we’ll cover McDonald’s app and how to use Apple Pay with it.
What Is the McDonald’s App?
McDonald’s app is a one-stop shop for your McDonald’s experience.
It lets you set up your McDonald’s order, make payments, select delivery and take away options, and gives you several benefits.
Here are some reasons why you should try it out:
- Using McDonald’s app likewise gives you the chance to win freebies and exclusive deals from McDonald’s.
- You can use the app to place your order instead of waiting in line.
- You can also order online and join McDonald’s loyalty program: MyMcDonald’s Rewards.
- McDonald’s app also lets you make payments at the time of pickup or at the self-service kiosk.
You can also add payment methods like Apple Pay, Debit or Credit card, and so on.
Here’s how to add payment methods like credit cards to the McDonald’s App:
- Payment methods can be added at either the My Account or Checkout screen.
- Once you reach the “Payment Methods” tab, enter the following information: card number, expiry date, CVV, and name.
- Then click on “Save” to add the card to McDonald’s app payment options.
Can You Use Apple Pay with the McDonald’s App?
You can use Apple Pay with an iOS device, such as an iPhone or Apple Watch. This is the default payment method for the McDonald’s app.
If you don’t have Apple Pay set up, you’ll need to add a card to Apple Wallet before you get this option.
We explained how to do this earlier.
But once you have it set up, you can see the Apple Pay option right at the top under Payment Methods in the McDonald’s app.
What Payment Method Does McDonald’s Accept?
We know by now that McDonald’s accepts Apple Pay, but what about other payment options?
McDonald’s accepts a variety of other payment options, including:
- Credit or debit cards issued by Visa, AmEx, MasterCard, and Discover
- Apple Pay on iOS devices like iPhone or Apple Watch
- Google Pay on Android devices (for payment in-store, drive-thru, and at kiosks but not on the app)
- Samsung Pay (in stores and drive-thrus, but not on the app)
Credit and debit cards accepted must be from a bank registered in the US.
Other Fast-Food Companies that Accept Apple Pay
If you’re a fast food fan, you might be wondering if other fast-food restaurants accept Apple Pay.
The good news is that there are plenty.
Here’s a small (but not complete) list of other fast food joints that use Apple Pay:
- Panera Bread
- White Castle
- Taco Bell
- Baskin Robbins
- Jack in the Box
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Baskin Robbins
Other restaurants accept Apple Pay as well, but this list will start you off.
For a more comprehensive breakdown, check out our post about which fast-food places accept Apple Pay.
How to Find Fast-Food Companies that Accept Apple Pay
While the above list does give you a start, there are plenty of other restaurants that accept Apple Pay.
But how do you find them? The good news is that Apple provides a handy service that lets you check it out yourself.
You can see locations that use Apple Pay through the Maps app on your iPhone. Launch Apple Maps and do the following:
- Click on a store location on Maps.
- Swipe upwards. Maps will show you the details of the establishment.
- At the bottom, there would be a “things to know” section.
- If the store uses Apple Pay, it will either have the Apple Pay symbol or a tick mark against “Apple Pay Accepted.”
Customers that like convenience will be happy to know that McDonald’s takes Apple Pay and provides a ton of options for using it.
However, you’re not just limited to using Apple Pay. McDonald’s stores accept a variety of other methods for paying as well, including cards, cash, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and other options.
There are loads of other fast food joints that accept Apple Pay. If you are ever in doubt, there’s an easy way to check which fast-food restaurants accept Apple Pay by using Maps.
McDonald’s and Apple Pay FAQs
Does McDonald’s Take Apple Pay in Drive-Thru 2023
Yes, you can use Apple Pay at McDonald’s drive-thru as well. Once you have placed the order, the McDonald’s Drive-thru employee will hold the cash register at the window. You just need to bring your Apple Watch or Apple phone close to it. Wait until the payment is complete. It takes just a few seconds.
Does McDonald’s Take Google Pay
Yes, McDonald’s takes Google Pay as well, just like it takes Apple Pay through its NFC-enabled cash registers. However, this option is available only for in-store and drive-thru purchases. You cannot use Google Pay for online orders or on the McDonald’s app.
Does McDonald’s Take Samsung Pay?
Yes, McDonald’s takes Samsung Pay as well. Generally speaking, you can use almost any contactless payment method at a McDonald’s restaurant. However, just like Google Pay, Samsung’s Payment app is also not accepted by McDonald’s online app for payments.
Does McDonald’s Take Cash App?
You cannot send money to McDonald’s directly via the Cash App. But if you have a Cash App Card, you can use it to make payments at any McDonald’s restaurant, just like any other card. Another way to use Cash App to pay for your Big Mac is with Delivery apps like DoorDash.